Elephant Trekking with Eloise

Today, October 1st, marks the 12th day I've been in Thailand. If you ask just about anyone in my program, they would say it feels like their 30th. There have been so many learning curves during this short period of time that I feel as if I've conquered the world...or at least a tiny island in Thailand.

The mosquitoes (once catalysts for severe scratching and frequent blubbering) are now considered punctual flatmates that arrive at our door promptly around 6pm. Geckos are another interesting addition to the communal hut, in which I have quite a sad story to relay. After enjoying half of a lovely gin and sprite night cap, without delay, I slipped into a deep slumber. The next morning, I awoke to a ghastly sight. There in the glass cup swayed a waterlogged gecko, floating belly-up. We could only surmise that he went out with drunken bang.

This past weekend was our first spent on Ko Chang island. We decided to play tourist and go on an elephant trek, of course! I was full of trepidation before departing for fear of the ecotourist company beating the elephants. Thankfully, this was not the case at all. They treated them gently and had them trained mostly by oral command, which was very impressive to witness. The elephants traversed through the jungle, then in the river flowing through Ko Chang. We were even able to swim with them! Getting up close and personal with an elephant in the water was so surreal. I recall stroking it's long, leathery trunk and staring into its beady eye, thinking: what an amazing animal. I will miss Eloise (the name I gave to our sagacious elephant) and all of her quintessential beauty.




Bet you can't spot the blindingly white elephant rider!

Written on Monday, October 1, 2012 at 3:51 AM by Christine Miller